Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, July 25, 2011

Maryland - our first home was ...

... a motel room off Route 1 in College Park shown in this post card. Back then they called these motel rooms "cabins" or cottages. I think the term "motel" became more common later.

This place was called Haass' Haven. The back of the post card has this description: "On U.S Route 1, 10 miles North of the Nation's Capital. Modern Cabins, Shower or Bath in each. P.O. Address: 8419 Baltimore Avenue, Berwyn, Maryland. Phone Tower 6691. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Haass, Owners." Too funny. Shower or Bath in each ... I guess not too long ago there were outhouses.

In my mind, the area seemed very green and lovely ... almost country, and maybe in the 1950s Route 1 was mostly green. Of course, I was coming from New York City, even alittle grass was "very green" to me. The motel I think stands today but is seedy looking as you would expect after 60 years. That whole area is now built up with uncontrolled and random development.
We came to Maryland in the summer. This picture was taken in July 1951. I was 4 years old. I don't think we made a permanent move to Maryland until I was almost 6, but the details of that time are spotty. It must have been warm because I remember the heat and humidity (probably hotter than New York) and in this picture I am in a sun dress. I also remember a small plastic pool Mom had for me to cool off in outside while we lived in the motel. No air conditioning then.

Later we moved to a second floor apartment in a large brick development. We never lived in our own home, always in apartments or rental units. More on our apartment living next time.
~~~~~~~~~

15 days until my camera comes home, but who is counting!

6 comments:

Anita said...

I love to read about other people's early years.
1951...ah, those were the days....

Anonymous said...

I'm counting down with you to get your camera back. I'm counting down as well to get full internet service back. It takes me half an hour to do what used to take two minutes.

Mary said...

As much as I'm happy you'll be getting your camera back, I so enjoy these old photos and stories.

Carolyn said...

I am enjoying your old pictures (a lot) but I know how you must miss your camera. Blogging without it must be like a whole new experience.

Noofy said...

Don't get mad at me, hope your camera repair is delayed. I'm enjoying your throw back, good old days pictures and stories!

g-girl said...

So you weren't in NYC for very long. that must have been tough not having a permanent place while you were growing up. but i could see it being an adventure too.