Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, July 8, 2011

Humor - a serious reflection

Yesterday I was gifted an award: The Humorous Blogger Award from The Feathered Nest. I accepted this award in my usual fashion. I recognized that I was accepting something that I asked for ... and I looked for the humor in the fact that I asked, begged, pleaded, and the blogger graciously consented to give me the award.

(I think I will try playing the lottery and see if I can get them to pick my number ... because I ask them to do so!) :-)

As part of my acceptance, I am asked to talk about how humor has impacted my life. For me that is a serious topic. Humor totally changed the path of my life.

The roots of my respect for humor begins with meeting the man who became my husband. I met this man in 1967. I was a college student and he was an employee of the university I attended. We were married in 1969.

Prior to meeting him, my life was problematic. My family life was dysfunctional. Somehow I developed a positive outlook on life ... maybe an opposite reaction to the negatives, I cannot begin to guess. But humor and laughter were not a part of my life experience to that point.

And when you are a young female, if you are asked what you look for in a "boyfriend" ... it typically is one or more of the following: handsome, popular, successful, understanding ... and so on. Humorous was not on my list. As an adult, I now know that humor should be somewhere near the top of the list ... but back then, I didn't realize the value of it. It is hard to value something you haven't experienced.

And then this introverted, shy man walked into my life. He saw life as a negative experience and his outlook was pessimistic, but he had a finely developed sense of humor. He could make me laugh. I was drawn to a person who was able to see the world through the lens of amusement.

We were an odd combination. But we filled in each other missing pieces.

We have been together for 44 years ... married for 42 years. Over that time I learned to see things differently, to see the humor in situations, to deliver a funny line with the right timing (funny is really about timing), and to temper my optimism with a bit of his realism. And he has learned from me as well. We are still basically the same people we were when we met, but only better - more complete. We joke about the fact that he keeps me from floating off the face of the earth with my Pollyanna ways, and I keep him from killing someone (not literally, but you know what I am getting at).

Yes, humor impacted my life. It changed the course of my life.

The second requirement of my acceptance was to pass the award onto another blogger.

I pass the award onto Chatty Crone.

Now I know that some bloggers may not participate in these award activities. I respect that. But since I get to pick, I pick Chatty Crone. She makes me laugh and smile and see life though a "fun" lens.

Yep! Chatty Crone it is.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post...I am so happy for you that you found your perfect "other half". And Chatty Crone? Well, who wouldn't want a "cats ass" on their sidebar?

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness thank you! Give me a day or two have company coming from Ohio! You are very sweet and you know we have a lot in common!

Mo said...

Aw, this is a sweet post. :)

happyone said...

I feel a bit the same way about Ken and I. : )

Cheryl said...

I wish I had more of a sense of humor. I have to make up for that in other ways :)) I admire people who are naturally funny.

Carolyn said...

Beautifully written...How important it is to keep humor in our daily lives.

Noofy said...

You have to have a sense of humor to get through life. It starts with being able to laugh at yoursself. I'm my own worst critic. A big ol belly laugh from me to you!

Cindy 6 said...

I agree humor is so incredibly important. I try not to stay around people that take things too seriously for too long. Congrats

Vee said...

Congrats on your award. Since you had me chuckling more than once, I think you certainly deserve it.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Congratulations on your well deserved award! I really enjoyed reading the back story about you and your husband. You continue to work as a great team, and I do think your wonderful sense of humor has helped keep you sane. You do have terrific timing and always know the right thing to say.

Julie

g-girl said...

a sense of humor has always been near the top of my list when looking for suitors. it helps get you through things. :)

Chatty Crone said...

I just finished and will post both Saturday and Sunday - I am chatty. teehee