Yesterday my mother took her first voluntary, self propelled trip out of the house and back .,. the first trip since mid-April.
The time in between has not been boring. Three hospitalizations, many ambulance transports, and ongoing home care visits!
But the final result was ... ta-da ... a trip to get her hair cut!!
The trip itself was a bit of an adventure - not a nail biter - but a sincere effort for us both.
- I determined that the temperature, air quality and general weather conditions were good enough. Her oxygen ran low earlier in the week with walking so I wanted near perfect external conditions for this trip. We had it. Check!!
- Getting that darn wheel chair up from the basement, and then down my outside steps and then shoved into my trunk made me break out in a sweat. But I did it. Check.
- She descended the 20 outside steps to the car with only one rest period. Oxygen was pretty good. Check.
- She took the 5 minute car ride to my shopping center. Check.
- She sat in the wheel chair from the car to the salon and surviving my wheel chair driving. Her blood pressure probably went up when I almost dumped her on the floor of the salon. The wheel chair wouldn't roll over the salon door sill - but she arrived safely, mostly, so I count it is a Check!! :-)
- She got her hair cut. The salon chair had a foot rest that proved to be an obstacle but with the help of 3 people she surmounted it. Check.
- I thought she looked tired so we sat outside and enjoyed a Rita's icy treat - the temperature was perfect and we were sitting in the shade. A social moment. Check.
- The 5 minute ride home was uneventful! Check.
- The trip up the stairs to the house was a bit more than she could do without several rest periods, but she did it. Check.
- We arrived home and she was exhausted!
- Me Too. It took 3 hours to do that round trip. But she looks better. Check, check, and check.