Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins

As enthused as I am about walking, I can honestly say that walking across America isn't on my list of things to do. It isn't going to ever be on my list. But I totally loved reading about Peter Jenkins experiences doing just that.

Peter Jenkins is pretty high on my list of favorite authors. His book A Walk Across America was my introduction to him and his writing style, and I was hooked.

His story begins as a young man living during the Vietnam era. He came from a very normal New England family of comfortable means and he had completed his education, but was disillusioned with the American society he found himself in. Thinking he might consider just leaving this country, he was encouraged to explore America before giving up on the country. And explore he did, on foot, close up and personal. He sets out with his dog Cooper (pictured on the cover), walking from New England down to New Orleans, Louisiana. Being young is definite advantage to setting out on this kind of journey.

His walk takes him through the large range of peoples and cultures that make up America. Until I read this book, I can honestly say I didn't give much consideration to the huge range of peoples that make up our country. It was a real reminder to me of what makes our country so great.

He camped along road sides, walked through raging snow storms, stayed in seedy motels, ate foods typical of the area, interacted with the local characters of the small communities he passed through, and temporarily settled in various communities for brief periods working various day-laborer jobs when he ran out of money. It was a fascinating and difficult adventure to read about.

The second book, The Walk West: A Walk Across America 2, chronicles his walk from New Orleans to the Pacific Coast - walking with his wife. His description of walking across the desert and the Rocky Mountains was riviting.

Peter Jenkins is the author of several other books - I have read them all:
Looking for Alaska
Along the Edge of America
Across China

And his opinion of America from his experiences?... there is no where else as wonderful as this country. I have to agree with him - especially after reading his books.


2 comments:

happyone said...

I think I will move his book up to the top of my list.

Happy@Home said...

This book sounds really interesting to me. I enjoy a good non-fiction book and this sounds like it would fill the bill perfectly. Thanks for the recommendation.